Contrary to yesterday’s post (and after sitting in my office with chills), there is a bit of summer I do really want to hang on to: food and drink. One of the best parts of the past few months has been trying all sorts of drinks in Hawaii and other places I traveled. Some had spirits and some were pleasantly refreshing, which I think I’ll miss most.
So I hunted down this recipe from Serious Eats for an agua fresca, ideal for that [real] end of summer barbecue.
Strawberry Vanilla Agua Fresca
- 1 pound strawberries, hulled
- 4 cups of ice cold water, divided
- Enough vanilla seeds to fill the point of a sharp knife (or 1/8 teaspoons vanilla extract)
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- Ice, for serving
- In a blender, combine the strawberries with 2 cups of the water and the vanilla seeds or extract. Puree until completely liquid. Strain the mixture through a fine-mesh sieve or through cheesecloth into a pitcher.
- Stir in the remaining 2 cups water, lemon juice and sugar. Taste and adjust sugar to suit your preference. Pour into ice-filled glasses and serve.